Load balancing Forefront TMG servers in an array
Load balancing serves to balance network traffic among array members, so that traffic is optimized across all available servers. You can use Network Load Balancing (NLB), or a third party hardware load balancer, to load balance traffic among Forefront TMG array members, as follows:
- NLB—This optional Windows Server 2008 feature is integrated into Forefront TMG. NLB tools are a prerequisite for the installation of Forefront TMG (as described in System requirements for Forefront TMG); you can configure NLB directly in the Forefront TMG Management console. In a Forefront TMG array, NLB supports load balancing across up to eight array members. This method for implementing load balancing provides a number of advantages:
- Cost savings, as no hardware device needs to be purchased.
- Simplified management and monitoring, as NLB can be managed directly in the Forefront TMG Management console. You can easily apply the NLB configuration to all array members.
- Ease of node management as nodes can be managed and drained via the Forefront TMG Management console.
- Firewall rules and settings are configured automatically.